Richard qualified in 1999 and has been a partner in London and regional firms since 2009. He worked for five years in the Sultanate of Oman, for the Dubai-headquartered largest law firm in the Middle East, acting for local, regional and multinational clients on significant corporate transactions and commercial advisory matters governed predominantly by English law.
Richard has extensive and in-depth experience across both corporate transactional matters and also commercial and operational challenges faced by businesses and entrepreneurs. He acts for clients active in most sectors of the economy and at every stage of development, from PLCs and state-owned enterprises to start-ups. His specific expertise includes:
Leading and successfully closing corporate transactions in both domestic and cross-border contexts with deal values ranging from £0.5M to $1BN, including –
- privatisations, reverse takeovers, mergers, acquisitions and disposals;
- financing, re-financing and restructuring (both solvent and distressed); and
- creating and advising on investment agreements, joint venture agreements, subscription agreements, shareholders agreements, bespoke articles of association, bespoke partnership and limited liability partnership agreements.
Advising and assisting in respect of all areas of commercial contracts and operational legal challenges, including –
- corporate governance;
- protection and exploitation of intellectual property and sophisticated licensing arrangements;
- consumer protection, franchising, commercial agency and distributorship;
- competition and anti-trust issues; and
- the non-litigious disposal of significant contract and commercial disputes including both partnership and employment law matters.
Whether acting on an internationally or nationally reported corporate transaction or assisting a start-up to get the basics right, Richard ensures his clients receive a consistently high quality and pragmatic service at a cost they can understand and afford. Richard is passionate about working closely with his clients in order to fully understand their businesses so he can add value and ultimately increase their bottom-line profit.
Richard adopts a problem-solving approach to advance the best interests of his clients in all matters he is instructed on. He greatly enjoys working with colleagues in other departments of the firm and other professional advisers to ensure his clients receive holistic advice tailored to their specific requirements.
Client testimonials for Richard include ‘adopts a truly pragmatic approach to problem solving’ and ‘understands how clients need their lawyers to act in a changing world’.
Richard has previously been described in Legal 500 and Chambers and Partners as ‘an extremely agile thinker’, ‘very approachable and understandable’ and with his team praised for its ‘focused and practical advice’.