Eri Horrocks discusses what separated parents must consider when wanting to relocate within the UK

  • June 15, 2021
  • By Eri Horrocks, Associate

Can I take the children to live in another part of the country?  

The Covid-19 pandemic has led many to reconsider their location – according to a survey carried out by the London Assembly Housing Committee,  one in seven Londoners wants to leave the city. Separated parents face the potential complexity that one parent may want to relocate while the other does not.

There is no specific law restricting a parent from moving with their children within the UK (often described by family lawyers as “internal relocation”). However, because both parents’ consent should generally be obtained prior to changing a child’s school, in practice, either agreement between the parents or a court order will often be needed. It is any event generally good parenting practice not to make significant decisions for a child without consulting the other parent.

If agreement can’t be reached, either parent can apply to court for an order to resolve the dispute. In reaching a decision the judge’s paramount consideration will be the child’s welfare, and the parent seeking to relocate will need to explain the motivation behind the relocation and provide detailed information about what life in the proposed new location will look like and why it will benefit the child.

Every case will be fact specific, but relevant factors are likely to include the child’s wishes (considered in light of their age and understanding), how well their emotional, educational and physical needs would be met in the new location, the proposed housing and schooling arrangements, the impact on the child of a change in their circumstances, and the proposed arrangements for contact with the other parent.

In the recent case of F v G [2021] EWFC B12, a mother had temporarily moved to the countryside with the parties’ two children, aged three and nine, during the first lockdown, but subsequently wished to make the move permanent. The parties agreed that the younger child should be based in the countryside with the mother, but differed as to the best arrangements for the older child. On balance the judge concluded that, given the older child’s autism and resultant difficulty in managing change, the negative impact on him of having to move schools meant that it was in his best interests to be based in London with his father. The children would spend every weekend and the holidays together, alternating between their parents.

Whilst it is unusual to separate siblings, the case emphasises how fact-specific these decisions are. The judge expressed concern in this case that the mother’s plans were not particularly child-focused; rather that she was seeking to mould the children’s lives around her own plans, and this was damaging to her case. The judge emphasised that the paramount consideration is the child’s welfare; the parents’ interests and welfare are important to the judge’s decision only insofar as they impact on the welfare of the child.

Court proceedings to determine arrangements for children should always be a last resort. Other options include negotiating through solicitors, including at round table meetings; mediation, where a neutral third party facilitates discussion and suggests solutions; and arbitration, a privatised (and therefore speedier and more flexible) version of the court system where an experienced lawyer is appointed to make a binding decision.

Finally, if you are worried your former partner is about to relocate with the children without your agreement, then you can apply to the court on an urgent basis for an order forbidding them from doing so.  If a parent does move within the UK without the agreement of the children’s other parent or a court order, an application can be made to court seeking their return, which will be determined according to the child’s best interests. Unlike the situation where a child is abducted abroad, this will not usually constitute a criminal offence, but it may be highly disruptive for the child, and is likely to be disapproved of by the court and may influence the court’s perspective going forward.

If you have any questions about relocating with children or other aspects of family law, please contact Eri Horrocks on 020 7412 0050 or

Related News

Oct 19, 2021
Nicole Derham discusses privatising the court process in family law
Oct 11, 2021
Jo Carr-West discusses one of the richest British-born divorcees, Kirsty Bertarelli, in Family Law Week and The Legal Diary
Oct 11, 2021
Mark Stiebel joins Hunters Law as a Partner in the Family Department
Sep 15, 2021
Henry Hood recognised in the Citywealth Leaders List Top 100 Private Client Lawyers 2021
Sep 14, 2021
Hunters recognised as one of the 2021 eprivateclient Top Family Law Firms
Sep 06, 2021
Hunters Law shortlisted at the Family Law Awards 2021
Aug 02, 2021
Henry Hood examines the Thwaite jurisdiction where a client seeks adjustment of a financial remedy order in The Review
Jul 29, 2021
Eri Horrocks discusses what happens to the children when separated parents differ on relocating in WealthBriefing
Jul 28, 2021
Eri Horrocks discusses a practical guide to emergency private children cases in The Review
Jul 27, 2021
Eri Horrocks discusses what separated parents wanting to relocate within the UK need to know in Family Law Week

© Hunters Law LLP 2021 | Privacy NoticeLegal & Regulatory | Cookies Policy | Complaints Procedure.

Hunters Law LLP is authorised and regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority (number 657218)